Monday, February 8, 2010

A tale of Gale's...


It was horrible outside yesterday. Like, really horrible. I was supposed to go out and do some rather more cultured things but the call of the warm flat and big sofa were too great. I just got the new March edition of BBC's Good Food magazine so decided to make their cover recipe for this month, a Lemon Curd and Blueberry loaf cake. They recommend it for Mother's Day, but yesterday seemed as good a day as any.



I've been baking quite a lot recently as it gives me a chance to use the beautiful cake dome I got for Christmas from Bert. This is a really easy recipe to make, I upped the quantity of blueberries I used (as I was being greedy) but they make have made the cake a little too moist. The original recipe calls for 85g of the little purple brutes.

So here is the recipe for the loaf:

175g margarine, plus more for buttering the tin
100g Greek yogurt
2 tbs lemon curd (I used Gale's)
3 large free range eggs
Zest of 1 lemon
200g self raising flour
175g golden caster sugar
100g of blueberries

Preheat your oven to 160/140 fan.

Grease up a 2lb loaf tin and line the base and ends with baking paper.

In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients except the blueberries.



Use an electric whisk to combine all the ingredients to a smooth batter.

Transfer half the batter into the loaf tin and scatter half the blueberries. Cover with the rest of the batter and finally grace with the rest of the blueberries.



Stick it in the oven for approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes (mine needed a little extra about 1 hour 20 minutes). To check the cake is ready insert a skewer. If it comes out clean then it's ready.

Allow to cool in the tin.

Whilst the cake was cooling, I made my icing. For this I used:

Juice of 1 lemon (the previously zested one)
140g icing sugar

Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and combine with the lemon juice to make the icing. Easy.

When the cake is cooled turn it out and drizzle the lemon icing on top. I let it drip down the sides for that rustic feel. And it looks nice.

Here's the finished article:



Wicked with a cup of tea.

1 comment:

Faridah Peach said...

That looks bloody delicious! I can't wait til I've graduated so I have time to bake more...and an oven!