Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Why have brownies, when you can have....

BLONDIES!

I've only recently discovered these truly amazing things. I had huge cravings for Brownies when I was pregnant with Laika, and I'm sure if I'd have known about them I'd have gone wild for them. I recently made them as an experiment for the Sisters Burn Christmas fair, Sister Sledge for the cake stall:

(you can see them in the front middle!)

So here is my recipe for creating these lovely things. And here's some I made earlier:


200g white chocolate
300g light muscavado sugar
250g unsatled butter
4 eggs, beaten
200g plain flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
85g peanut butter
100g unsalted peanuts (optional)

This recipe makes about 10 generous pieces.

So, preheat your oven to 180 degrees. When I made these for the fair I did them in a commercial oven. If you can get hold of one of them, so much the better! Grease and line a square tin. Over a low heat, melt together the chocolate, butter and sugar and stir until melted and combined. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Thoroughly mix in the eggs. Add the flour, baking powder, peanut butter and if using, the peanuts. Mix together until combined. Spread this mixture into the tin.

Right, the amount of time this takes TOTALLY depends on your oven. You want them to be squidy in the middle and crisp on the outside. Timing this is difficult without overdoing the outsides, so you may have to play around with it. I reckon on anything up to 45 minutes, but have a look after about 25 minutes.

Cool in the tin, and then portion by cutting into squares. Then eat. Alone.

No comments: